BSA Logo

Skip to main content
Untitled 1

Changing or Cancelling Insurance

Changing or Amending a Contract

Amendment requests (apart from value) should only relate to an error of detail, not to a change of detail. We are unable to swap or change a site or owner on a given policy.

You can send a request to amend details on your policy by:

Your request should include:

  • a letter outlining the amendment and;
  • supporting documentation;
    • Copy of the contract
    • Variation document
    • Letter signed by all parties to the contract

If you are decreasing the value of the project, send:

  • your written authority outlining the decrease to the value of the insurance policy; and,
  • a signed and dated copy of the building contract, including a copy of the signed variations document, detailing the changes made to the contract value. If a signed variation and/or contract is not available, provide a Statutory Declaration signed by both parties confirming the change.

If you are increasing the value of the project you need to provide your written authority outlining the changes in the value of the contract. Please note:

  • It may increase the premium value and, as the building contractor, you will charged any additional fees incurred
  • If there is a substantial increase in the contract value, you may be requested to provide a copy of the variation to the contract

Once the amendment is complete, we send:

  • a new Construction Notification to you
  • a new Certificate of Insurance to the owner

Refund of monies

If the amendment requires a refund of premium fees, QBCC will send this to you, or to a person you have nominated. If you nominate someone else to receive the refund, you must advise us in writing. We may charge a $30 administration fee.

Cancelling a Policy of Insurance

If you and the owner agree to terminate a contract you must provide all required information BEFORE we are able to cancel the policy and issue a refund.

We will only cancel a policy of insurance if:

  • The work insured under the policy HAS NOT commenced
  • The contract between yourself and the owner has been terminated
  • Less than one year has elapsed since the day the contract was entered into
  • Any deposit paid has been refunded - less lawful deductions (this may include the QBCC premium)
  • You have provided QBCC with the required information

What should be provided to QBCC?

  • A written authority to cancel the QBCC insurance policy
  • Signed and dated copy of the building contract including the deposit/stage payments section (we do not require a copy of the terms and conditions). If there is no written contract, please provide a Statutory Declaration confirming this.
  • A copy of signed variations detailing changes made to the contract
  • A copy of the written notice of withdrawal under the 'cooling off period' (where applicable). Where a written notice of withdrawal does not exist, provide a Statutory Declaration signed by both parties.
  • Evidence that:
    • no money has been paid by the owner to the builder, or:
    • monies which were paid by the owner under the building contract (this may include the QBCC insurance premium), have been refunded in accordance with the building contract. Evidence could include a copy of the reconciliation and/or receipts
    • A declaration that no works have commenced
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
23/05/2014 8:36 AM

Page feedback

Your privacy
  1. This page was
  2. We want this information to be the best it can be and we know we can’t do it without you. Let us know what you thought of this page and what other information you would like to see.

    We do not reply to feedback. Contact us if you need a response

  3. Contact (optional)