BSA Logo

Skip to main content
Untitled 1

Building inspections and approval

Building inspections

Building work that needs development approval will need inspection and approval by a building certifier.

Building certifiers

Building certifiers inspect a project before, during and at completion to ensure it complies with:

  • the approved building plans (approval of development permit for building works), and
  • appropriate building standards.

Certifiers can work for local government or in a private practice and they must be accredited. You check a certifier’s licence details using the online licence search.

Appointing a building certifier

In most cases a builder or developer hires the building certifier on a customer’s behalf and their fees are included in the contract. However, homeowners can directly appoint a private certifier.

It is unlawful for a certifier to certify or approve work with which they are personally involved as a builder or designer, or from which they are able to gain a profit.

Building certifier’s responsibilities

A building certifier is responsible for:

  • approving plans relating to new or altered buildings
  • inspecting construction work at mandatory stages
  • providing certificates of inspection to the homeowner, builder and local authority following inspections
  • issuing enforcement notices on building work they are involved in
  • giving final approval for a building to be occupied.

What is the building certifier NOT responsible for?

Building certifiers are not responsible for:

  • ensuring a builder is complying with their contract
  • quality control
  • town planning applications
  • reviewing the capacity of public utilities (e.g. sewer mains)
  • Variation of prescribed set-back requirements
  • granting practicality and disability exemptions for the installation of swimming pool fences.

Mandatory inspection stages

  • Foundations and excavation (footings) – before footings are poured.
  • Slab – before concrete is poured.
  • Frame – before the cladding or lining is fixed or masonry construction begun.
  • Final – when the building work is completed.

Find a licensed certifier

For a list of licensed certifiers, complete the list of licensed certifiers form and return with the $15 fee. Requests are processed within five working days.

More information

The Department of Housing and Public Works has information on:

QBCC Publications

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
5/02/2014 11:24 AM

Page feedback

Your privacy
  1. This page was
  2. We want this information to be the best it can be and we know we can’t do it without you. Let us know what you thought of this page and what other information you would like to see.

    We do not reply to feedback. Contact us if you need a response

  3. Contact (optional)