BSA Logo

Skip to main content
Untitled 1

Insurance for building sites—public liability insurance

You should discuss you and your contractor’s public liability insurance responsibilities before signing any contract for major building work on vacant land. Your insurer may note conditions on the policy and require a higher premium for the construction period.

Your responsibilities

You should take out public liability insurance (starting from settlement date) on any block of land you plan to build on.

This insurance protects you from serious financial loss if anyone is injured, killed or has their property damaged whilst on site. You can be sued by a person that is injured whilst trespassing on your land before building work has started and during construction.

Your contractor’s responsibilities

You should check if your contractor has met their insurance obligations in the contract. Your contractor should have current liability insurance and construction insurance where they are in charge of the site.

Construction insurance covers the site and materials against theft, vandalism, fire, storm etc. throughout the construction period until handover.

QBCC Home Warranty Insurance

Your contractor may also need to take out QBCC Home Warranty Insurance.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
5/02/2014 11:19 AM

Page feedback

Your privacy
  1. This page was
  2. We want this information to be the best it can be and we know we can’t do it without you. Let us know what you thought of this page and what other information you would like to see.

    We do not reply to feedback. Contact us if you need a response

  3. Contact (optional)