BSA Logo

Skip to main content
Untitled 1

Who needs a licence?

In Queensland, individuals and companies must hold a QBCC licence to carry out:

  • any building work valued over $3,300,
  • building work valued over $1,100 where it involves Hydraulic Services Design,
  • building work of any value where it involves:
    • Drainage
    • Plumbing and Drainage
    • Gas Fitting
    • Termite Management - Chemical
    • Fire Protection
    • Completed Residential Building Inspection
    • Building Design - Low Rise, Medium Rise and Open
    • Site Classification

Note: The value of building work includes all labour and material costs, regardless of who supplies the materials. 

Carrying out building work

A contractor is carrying out building work if he/she is:

  • personally carrying out the work
  • directly or indirectly causing the building work to be carried out.
  • providing administration, advisory, management or supervisory services for building work, including:
    • entering into a contract or submitting a tender for building work.
    • offering (quoting and tendering) to carry out building work.
    • taking payment or arranging payment of subcontractors,
    • arranging labour or arranging and conducting on-site meetings and inspections
    • preparing plans and specifications,
    • coordinating the scheduling of work for building contractors even as an agent for another person
    • obtaining engineering or soil reports, or arranging for certificates from Local government to be issued etc
    • supervising building work
    • providing advice or a report for a building
    • contracting for work as a subcontractor to a builder

Licence classes

The scope of work for each QBCC licence class outlines the range of building work for that class. 

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
8/01/2014 2:51 PM

Page feedback

Your privacy
  1. This page was
  2. We want this information to be the best it can be and we know we can’t do it without you. Let us know what you thought of this page and what other information you would like to see.

    We do not reply to feedback. Contact us if you need a response

  3. Contact (optional)